Before you plan that big trip to Disney or the beach, think about staying here in Texas and having just as much fun but in a much more relaxing way. The JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country provides amazing experiences for families to bond and make memories – and it’s much easier to travel to.
Over the Spring Break, my family & I had the opportunity to try out this gorgeous resort. Voted one of the Ten Best New Texas Hotels by Texas Monthly, I was eager to see why. Didn’t take long.
You can leave everything behind, turn off your phones, and relax. You never need to leave the property to have a fulfilling vacation. In fact, I met one family that was suppored to stay 2 days and ended up staying an entire week they loved it so much. As I sat in my lounge chair by the pool on morning I thought that a week-long stay at a relaxing Texas resort sounds much more appealing than a busy, jam-packed summer vacation anywhere else.
So as you are making plans for the summer, here are 10 Reasons why you need to book a stay at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country:
1. River Bluff Water Experience – We lived here for 2 days – even though it was a chilly Spring Break, the water was heated and my kids played in it ALL DAY. They floated round & round the Lazy River, became expert riders on the water slides, and figure out the best ways to get others wet with all the fun water cannons. Mom & Dad sat by the Children’s Pool all day and relaxed.
As a momma of a 3 year old, the Children’s Pool is excellent. It has a zero-depth entry, 2 water slides, and tons of fun climbing toys to play it. It kept my guy entertained for hours. The height of the water was perfect for him a beginning or even non-swimmer to feel comfortable.
2. Duck Races & Hamster Balls – The resort has Kids Activities planned ALL DAY – from ceramic painting to scavenger hunts, duck races in the pool to geocaching, flag football to live animal presentations. There was always something going on. Most of the activities were free to participate, with just a few having a nominal fee. The activities go on through the evening on the back lawn, where you’d also find a few pickup games of soccer & football going on. My kids were having too much fun in the pool to step away for an activity, but it was nice to know there was so much offered.
3. Segway Tours – Fun activities for the adults are offered too. Not only does the JW Marriott offer 2 PGA courses, AT&T Canyons Course and AT&T Oaks Course, but there are nature walks and mountain biking tours too. Not to mention some great places to relax and have a few drinks or a nice dinner…..which brings me to my next reason…..
4. Date Night – What? I can have a date night on vacation with my hubby??? Yap! I am so taking advantage of the Range Riders Kids Club next time I go. The resort offers childcare for 4 and up in there fun kids facility, where kids can play Wii, make crafts, play games…the kids actually get to pick what they want to do. I spoke to one momma whose kids had so much fun one evening, they asked to go back the next! The club is $10 an hour per child and gives you a great opportunity to enjoy a nice dinner and quiet time for you & hubby.
5. Time to say AHHHH – JW Marriott San Antonio is also home to the Lantana Spa, the largest spa in Texas. If you stay here this summer, you must- MUST – book a treatment here. I had a massage and it was fantastic! It’s not just the service that was so amazing, but the facility and the experiences that go with time at the spa. Starting with the “Seven-Knots Ritual” and ending with quiet peace in the Lavender-filled Inhalation room, you can not pass up a chance to experience this Spa while you are here.
6. Shorts & Flip Flop are A-OK – The JW Marriott San Antonio prides themselves on being Resort Casual. From the moment you walk into the lobby, you feel at home. There is nothing pretentious about this place. The decor is inviting, the customer service is outstanding, and everyone is dressed casually. There is a ton of casual congregating done all over the resort, as if you were right at home.
7. Chicken & Jalapeno-Cheddar Waffles – Y’all know I love to eat. So when I stay in a place that has a unique menu, giving me the opportunity to try amazing food, I’m gonna go on & on about it. With 5 different places to enjoy a great meal on the property, your taste buds will not get bored. I’m not usually a fan of hotel food, but this didn’t have that feel. We enjoyed burgers at the sports bar, High Velocity, ate by the pool for lunch, and enjoyed an amazing breakfast buffet in Cibolo Moon each morning. Every meal was great, offering unique, very Texas-y dishes.
8. Smores & Poolside Movies – Starting at dusk, the resort offers even more fun for families. Over Spring Break, we enjoyed organized games on the lawn (Booger Wars, anyone?), S’mores, and a movie poolside. My kids thought they were in heaven. On weekends, they will feature fun food trucks and live music. Everyone congregates and enjoys a drink while the kids are playing. Dads are throwing balls with the kids – playing with them, enjoying that time. It’s a really cool atmosphere.
9. Can’t beat a view like this – May I suggest you book a room with a patio to sit on each morning with your cup of coffee and each evening with your glass of wine? The 750 acre Nature Preserve & Bird Sanctuary make up the amazing Texas Hill Country view behind the resort. You won’t see a view like this downtown. It was my happy little quiet place for 20 minutes each morning and evening. I miss it.
10. Make memories in a Relaxing Place – Most of our vacations are spent trying to see as much as we can and that’s ok. That’s totally my style. But it was honestly nice to take a different approach to this vacation. To stay in one location and enjoy one on one time as a family. We came home refreshed after spending quality time with each other.
Wow – reading back, I have nothing but great things to say about our stay. I know it totally sounds like a sales pitch, but after 2 days there over Spring Break, I was SOLD. The JW Marriott San Antonio provides so many opportunities to to bond with your kids in such a relaxing setting, that we are already looking to book for this summer – better get to it before I do!
A few tips before you go:
– Best time to go is on the weekdays during the summer, where you will find the best rates and more availability.
– Get to the s’mores pit early – it is pretty small and there was always a line, but it seems to go fast.
– Grab a chair or two in the morning at the River Bluff before heading to breakfast – Don’t wait hours to come back though or it may be gone.
– Try to dine at odd hours to avoid the wait. If you try to go to dinner at 6, you will have a wait at most of the restaurants.
– Book a spa appointment (see reason number 5).
JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Address: 23808 Resort Pkwy, San Antonio, TX 78261
Hotel class: 5 stars
My family and I were invited to visit the hotel and were provided our stay. I was not financially compensated for this post. All opinions of JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort are strictly my own based on my experience.