On our Austin Spring Break Staycation, I asked the kids to pick some local activities that they had been wanting to try. For years, my son has been wanting to go water biking on Town Lake. Bring on the bikes!
What’s a water bike you ask? A hydrobike, or water bike, is a bicycle on 2 pontoons that you pedal to power it through the water. It’s that simple and it’s a great way to enjoy Town Lake without getting wet – definitely an activity you can enjoy year round in Austin.
Austin Water Bikes is located right beneath the Hyatt on Barton Springs. Bikes are rented by the hour (they provide a stop watch for your time-keeping). It was a fun way to start our Spring Break week off and I totally recommend the experience to both locals and visitors – a FUN way to see more of downtown.
Before you go, here are 7 Tips for Water Biking:
1. Bring your bags, purses, or cameras – place them in the water proof container on the bike. Just remember, when you take your camera or phone out to take pictures, hold on tight.
2. Take your kids! They can ride on the side on one of the pontoons. Austin Water Bikes will provide a life jacket for them as well.
3. Don’t forget the Sunscreen – There is no shade on the bikes, so bring a hat and apply your sunscreen. Even on cloudy days, you can burn!
4. It’s actual exercise! – You are riding a bike and it is tiring – even when you are in shape. And the faster you go, the more tired you become – the good thing is, you can go at your own pace.
5. Bring a Drink – You are out in the middle of Town Lake for an hour – and it can be hot! So bring a drink, as the bikes have 2 cupholders. Even though swimming in not allowed on Town Lake, you can hop in and out of the water and I imagine on a hot day, this would feel nice.
6. Wear closed toe or lace-up shoes – Since you are actually peddling a bike, flip flops just don’t work, and they might fall off.
7. Park at the Hyatt Parking Garage – ($6 for up to 3 hours) or the Catherine Residences (free if you can find a spot)
Texas Travel Facts for Austin Water Bikes:
Location: 208 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX
Hours: Open 7 days a week; 11 am – 6 pm
Admission: Per Bike/ per hour – $22.00 ($13 per 1/2 hour)
Recommended Time: one hour
Good to know: Cash or credit cards, first come, first serve rentals, you can bring your dog, weather permitting, they do sunset rides & bat tour rides