With St. Patrick’s Day around the corner, we decided to have a fun adventure. So this Spring Break, we will be having a St. Patrick’s Day Photo Scavenger Hunt! My kids love scavenger hunts, so I like to create fun ones for them to do – it is, after all, essentially FREE! All it takes is a little bit of prep work to create a fun experience for a group of kids.
- You can do this with a large group of friends, or just your family. If you do invite others to your hunt, just ask them to wear tennis shoes and bring a digital camera (a small hand-held camera is ideal).
- A little pre-work is involved in creating the actual list of “finds”. I went to the local park we were holding the scavenger hunt at a few days prior to get some ideas for the list. It allowed me to select a few clues that would personalize the hunt better. I was looking for unusual rocks, sculptures, or landscapes that they have to find. (see the list we used below)
- I like to also include activities they need to photograph as well, for example, all teammates creating a word out of their bodies.
- To give it more of a St. Patrick’s Day theme, I added “find a four leaf clover”, “find a pot of gold” and “find all the colors of the Rainbow”. Hide some gold chocolate coins for the kids to find for a fun surprise.
- Assign points to all the clues
- Keep the hunt easy – allow the kids to naturally partner with who they would like to. Explain the rules, set the timer, and let them go!
- We generally give them a half hour – an hour, depending on the list
- Get creative with the prizes! We found funny St. Patrick’s Day themed goodies to give the team who earned the most points.
Everyone enjoys the fun of a hunt! Throw a party afterwards to show everyone’s pictures and serve some very St. Patrick-sy snacks – leprechaun green cupcakes, gold chocolate coins, green kool-aid (what else?).
There you go! A fun and easy St. Patrick’s Day Party for kids!
St. Patrick’s Day Photo Scavenger Hunt:
(change these as they fit the location you are doing your hunt at)
• Rock with a tree growing out of it
• Someone swinging as high as they can
• Mom taking a drink from water fountain
• Trees with white
• Find the colors of the rainbow (take a picture of each one!)
• Baseball backstop
• Bridge over a creek
• Pointed rock
• Tree stump
• Greenest patch of grass
• Lying down in the fold in the earth
• Someone going across the jungle gym
• Picture of someone wearing a green shirt
• Someone doing a cartwheel
• A picture of someone wearing sunglasses
• All team members standing on a flat rock
• Spell your initial with your body
• Looking for a leprechaun
• Tree with the triangle
• Picture of “gold”
• Someone going down the slide
•Picture by the park sign don’t step on the flowers!