1. Spend the morning with hands-on excitement at the Austin Children’s Museum – There is so much to do – build a creation our of re-cycled materials, work in the Global City, or learn some crazy physics with golf balls. Or you could stand mesmerized by the “flying train” as my son does….
2. Add a slice of beauty to your day with the exhibits at the Blanton Museum of Art – Browse through their amazing collection of European, American, and Contemporary paintings. Let the kids guide the way – taking you to what interests them!
3. Pick a few Art Galleries to visit from Art Austin – this site lists all the galleries and museums in Austin – pick one based on the exhibit you’d like to see. One we always have enjoyed is the ArtHouse. Also, Art on 5th has a Dr. Suess exhibit until March 31!
4. Can’t go wrong touring the junk at the Cathedral of Junk – You and your kids will be mesmerized by the detail and care that goes into this 3 story structure. Talk to the artist – ask him questions – what a cool way to immerse yourself in modern art!
5. Make a hunt out of finding the coolest Murals in Austin – take your picture by the famed “Austin Postcard” or kiss your kiddos by the “PS I Love You”. Find the alien and make funny faces. There are so many cool murals in obscure places all over downtown, your kids will love finding a few!
6. Make your way to South Congress and eat lunch at the Trailers – Just one of the many locations you can find trailers to eat from in Austin, you will find more than hot dogs and tacos from the gourmet eateries. Our favorite is a Chicken – Alvocado Cone from Mighty Cone and a SweetBerry Whippersnapper Hey Cupcake for dessert. yummmmmm. Cross the street and grab a bag of nolstagic candy from the Big Top Candy Shop!