Even thought we have only lived in Austin for 6 years, we have such fond memories of the Trail of Lights. When we moved here in 2008, I made a list of suggested things we “must do” within our first year of living in Austin. Almost every person I spoke with said we had to see the Trail of Lights at Zilker Park in December.
It was a cold evening when we took the 2 (I was pregnant with our 3rd) kids down to see the trail. We bundled up as best we could, found a great parking spot and took the long walk down the trail. We took a ride on the Zilker Zephyer, indulged in hot chocolate and spun until we were dizzy under the giant Zilker Holiday Tree. It was a wonderful way to celebrate our first holidays in Austin and I will never forget the warm welcome to the city.
It’s #TrailMemories stories like these that the Trail of Lights wants to hear about in honor of their 50th Anniversary. They are asking you to submit your favorite Trail of Lights memories up to December 12, 2014. Each week, the Trail will announce a new story theme on the @ATXLights Twitter feed and Facebook page. You can then submit your Trail memory to http://austintrailoflights.org/tell-us-your-trail-memory for a chance to be selected as the winner of a weekly prize. Winning stories will also be featured on the Trail of Lights website.
Trail of Lights: December 7-21, 2014
The 2014 Trail of Lights will offer exciting holiday activities for all ages and occasions with a few new displays. The world’s tallest man-made Christmas Tree, towering 155 feet, will return once again, along with the 1.25- mile trail of lights, featuring some new additions, including:
- More than 30 lighted displays, highlighting favorite holiday characters and Austin icons
- New and improved parking, shuttles and traffic management
- Expanded dining areas featuring the diverse tastes of Austin’s finest food trailers
- Entertainment from a variety of local, regional and national performers
- Family-friendly activities, including holiday photo opportunities, crafts, and of course, a visit with Santa
- A hospitality area for company and group parties
- A merchandise area for smart shopping
- Opportunities throughout the trail to donate to local charities
To receive the latest updates, including the 15-day lineup, parking information, sign up for the Trail of Lights newsletter at AustinTrailofLights.org