I know, the first thing that pops into your head when you think of Breckenridge, Colorado is SKI, SKI, SKI!! Yes! Skiing is divine here, but you must also find a way to provide your self with some sustenance to SKI, SKI, SKI!!
Planning ahead is essential to a ski trip, especially when you are with family. And that’s why I have come up with a list of the Top Family Friendly Restaurants in Breckenridge for you to add to your itinerary. All home-grown and local eateries, many of which have unique offerings on their menus.
So whether you are in Breckenridge skiing during the winter or hiking during the summer, these 5 restaurants can’t be missed:
1. The Motherloaded Tavern 103 South Main St., Breckenridge, CO – This fun, eclectic restaurant serves up down home comfort food. The portions are big and satisfying after a long day outside. My husband enjoyed the Yankee Pot Roast, while I dove into a big plate of chicken & waffles. The kids menu is great and they have TWO amazing desserts you must try! The Deep Fried Twinkie and the Make Your Own S’Mores are worth just going in for dessert one afternoon!
2. Downstairs at Eric’s 111 South Main St., Breckenridge, CO – Filled with energy, this “downstairs” has the feeling of a fun college basement. There are tons of arcade games to play in the lobby – keep your kiddos busy, as there will most likely be a wait. Or you can stroll down Main Street, as they notify you that your table is ready via a text on your phone. The menu is great – something to satisfy everyone – wings, pizza, nachos, burgers. On a side note, we had a small bout with altitude sickness while there and the owner was incredibly helpful to us – even sent over a physician who was dining that night. This is a definite must go to fill up after a tiring day.
3. Columbine Cafe 109 South Main St, Breckenridge, CO – Make a plan to try this wonderful cafe out for a big, hearty breakfast! It has a casual atmosphere, but the breakfast is outstanding. We all enjoyed the “big-as-your-plate” pancakes. I had an omelet that was delicious and my hubby had the corn beef scramble that he loved. It was the perfect, lazy start to our morning where we were not rushed through breakfast.
4. Empire Burger 500 South Main St, Breckenridge, CO – A Breckenridge institution, I couldn’t wait to try these burgers – they did NOT disappoint. Fresh, big, unique, and yummy. I loved all the different dipping sauces you could get with the fresh cut fries and onion rings too – make sure you try the mango chutney one – sounds weird, but I promise you, it’s so good! Because Empire Burger is so popular, expect a wait. It’s well worth it!
5. Fatty’s Pizza 106 South Ridge St, Breckenridge, CO – The last night of our ski trip, we were pretty exhausted and looking for a quick way to grab a pizza. Most places we called had long waits, so we opted to pick up a few pizzas at Fatty’s. Great, traditional pizza – perfect crust, lots of cheese and kid-approved. The atmosphere looked fun if you were dining in as well. Because we picked up, it took less than a half hour to get dinner.
A list of best restaurants wouldn’t be complete without a few desserts. Other than the Motherloaded Tavern’s fried twinkie, here are a few other desserts you must try while in Breckenridge:
Crepes A la Cart, featured in a walk-up cart on Main street, has the most delicious crepes to satisfy a sweet tooth. They also have breakfast and lunch/dinner crepes as well. We tried the Funky French Monkey (bananas, chocolate, and peanut butter- YUM)! You will wait in line and it is outdoors, so be prepared.
Mary Mountain Cookies has the most AMAZING cookies you will find in all of Colorado – get a warm chocolate chip cookie in the store on Main Street and grab a few of the gourmet ones to go – they are just as yummy as they are beautiful! They also have online ordering if you need some once you have returned home…..
So enjoy your outdoor adventures in Breckenridge, but make sure to plan some time to take in these fine eateries!
My family and I were invited to visit Breckenridge, Colorado as guests of the Breckenridge CVB. I was not financially compensated for this post. All opinions of Breckenridge, Colorado are strictly my own based on my experience.